Most dealers who contact us regarding Mechanic recruitment, tend to hire on a reactive basis. It is usually only when a Mechanic suddenly leaves your business, goes on holiday or takes extended sick leave that there is an urgent requirement to hire.
Taking into account notice periods, interviews, reference checks and onboarding - unless the candidate is out of work - it will be very difficult to refill the position in a reasonable timeframe.
Some of the consequences of reactive hiring in a candidate-driven market include:
- Loss of labour sales revenue
- Loss of parts and accessory sales revenue
- Lost productivity when positions are open for too long
- Compromising on candidate quality due to need to fill vacancy quickly
- Extra pressure on other Mechanics to take on additional work
- Impact to CS levels due to increasing lead times
On the other hand, developing a proactive approach to hiring Mechanics will allow you to build a pipeline of skilled, available talent that you can call upon when demand is there.